Up in Smoke: My Kitchen Disaster–April Castaneda

Posted on January 24, 2014

0



We heard loud beeping as grey smoke filled the air. “Open all the windows and doors!” I said. The stench of char tormented my nose. How could this happen? Well, it all started with a question. “Want to make tortitas de carne?”

Tortitas de carne is a dish that my family makes often. Tortitas de carne means “small meat patties”. We serve it over rice. It is traditional make with ground beef but, as a healthier alternative, we use ground turkey. I decided that should learn how to cook this meal because it was my favorite meal. I gathered the ingredients: red and white bell peppers, white onion, eggs, and seasoned bread crumbs.

As I began to cut the peppers and onion, the aroma made my mouth water. I threw the cut onions and peppers into the food processor. My excitement increased as I put the ground turkey and veggies into a bowl. I mixed everything together with my hands adding bread crumbs. My hands were so cold from the turkey.

Since the meat was prepared, it was time to cook the rice. I turned to stove top on and placed a pan with some oil and onions. Once the onions were translucent, I put rice in the the pan. While I waited for the rice to cook a bit, I focused back on the meat. I rolled some meat into balls then flatten them. My favorite part. The meat mixture had the consistency of dough. I placed the patties in a separated pan.

Since it took awhile for the stove to get hot on that section of the stove top, I decided to watch T.V. That was not a smart decision because, before I knew it, there was smoke everywhere! I could not believe it. I am turning on the fan in the kitchen and desperately trying to open all the windows. The fire alarm began to blare out that loud beeping. I could not believe that the meat could burn to quick. The rice was charred at the bottom of the pan.

Fortunately, not all was lost because there was still plenty of meat and rice to cook. My second attempt was a significant improvement but I will never forget the time where my house became a smokehouse.

http://foodiefellow.wordpress.com/2014/01/17/up-in-smoke-my-kitchen-disaster/

Advertisements
Posted in: Student Posts